Thursday, September 6, 2012

Kyoto Zoo

Yesterday Jeff took the day off.  He spent the morning drafting his Fantasy Football team.  While he was busy working, we heard the doorbell ring.  I checked the camera in the house, and it looked like one of our neighbors.  I went and answered the door and it turns out, it wasn't a neighbor after all!  There were two ladies there who seemed surprised to see me answer the door!  They started speaking Japanese, but after a minute, the one lady opened a book, found a page in English and handed it to me.  It turns out, they are Jehovah's Witness ladies!  The other lady spoke a bit of English and asked me some questions, how long we've been here, why are we here, etc.  She saw the picture of our wedding sitting on the little table and wanted to see it.  They were very interested in the American wedding. 

The kids were also at the door with me and were entertaining the ladies.  The ladies thought they were cute, but we must have been a sight!  It was still morning and I hadn't gotten Chloe dressed yet, so she's just running around in a diaper and Killian is wearing Katherine's old bedazzled orange tank top!  Katherine was presentable at least!  The ladies were really nice and didn't seem to mind, who knows what they must think of us crazy Americans!  When they left, they said they hoped to see us again!

We debated if we should take the train or drive to the zoo.  Since the zoo closes at 5, we would be leaving for home on the train along with the work crowd.  We were afraid the trains would be too crowded to take with three little ones and a stroller.  We decided to drive, since the zoo is only about an hour away by car or train. 

We loaded up the kids and hopped in the car.  We made a quick stop at McDonald's, I just ran in to get the food.  When I first moved over here, I thought there is no way I can order!  However, after watching Jeff a few times, I am able to do it on my own.  Thankfully they have a picture menu on the counter next to each register.  I've watched and all the locals look at that menu and point to what they want, so I do the same.  I just point to what I want and hold up my fingers to show how many.  I haven't had any issues yet!  How much I owe is on the register and the numbers are just like at home, so no problems there either! 

Since it's lunchtime and nap time, Chloe is already asleep by the time I get out to the car with the food.  She had a nice nap on the ride to the zoo, I am happy about that, we don't want a crabby Chloe!  On the car ride, I saw this sign on the expressway, watch out for monkeys crossing the street! 
When Chloe woke up, she had her nuggets waiting for her.  Here she is, just waking up and looking like she is pondering something!
We arrive at the zoo!  You need to purchase your ticket from a machine, then hand it to the person at the gate.
You are able to get nice and close to the animals! 
These cats are so big, you forget how large they are until you are standing next to one!  When Chloe saw the tiger, she said "Big Cat!".
There was a little pool area for the tigers.  The kids were standing on the side of the fence when the tiger was getting out.  The tiger shook some of the water off and splashed the kids! 
The Kyoto Zoo has a Japanese deer that was laying down until we came.  It got up and came over to see us, which was very nice.
This is the sign posted by the Brazilian Tapir, I made sure the kids and I didn't get too close!
I decided to stop for a picture with the flamingos!
It was a nice day, but hot!  We took a little rest before continuing on.  While we were resting, we were joined by a bunch of pigeons.
The kids had fun chasing the birds around, like they were herding them!
It looks to me like they are sizing each other up through the glass!  I think it was afraid Chloe was going to take it's food, she probably would have tried too!
Jeff and Katherine are showing Chloe how to walk like a penguin as we make our way over to the penguins.
It was nice watching the penguins outside, without having to be in a stinky penguin house!
Jeffrey and the giraffe!  Of course we had to stop and see them.
Killian did not take a nap on the car ride out, so he was tired.  Good thing he has his sisters to help him out!

There's a very tiny amusement park inside the zoo.  We stopped in after checking out all the animals. 


I rode a Ferris Wheel with Katherine and we took each other's pictures.  There's a shot of Jeff with Chloe and Killian down on the ground.
Katherine rode the Ferris Wheel and loved it! She says it's her favorite part of the zoo! 

Katherine and Killian went on the boat ride next.  During the ride, I think Katherine talked Killian into going on the Ferris Wheel because when the boat ride was over he asked Jeff to take him on.  Before the boat ride he didn't show any interest in riding it.  Katherine can be very persuasive!
There they are, father and son enjoying the ride!  How cute!
What a fun time Killian had on the ride!
The kids and I stopped for a picture before heading home.  We had a wonderful time at the zoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment